Monday, September 10, 2007

Weekend in Galveston/Houston







Well, we all seemed to have lotsa fun this last weekend in Galveston, or as I like to type it, Glaveston. That keeps our record of seeing each other every weekend intact for a little while longer. The sea certainly has made Mal more surly than ever - or I just forget easily. But it was all in good fun and I can't wait to go back.

The trip back has been extremely long and I am still tired from it all. It started at 3:30 this morning when Ruth and I left TAMUG in the dead of the night. All was well the first four-and-a-half hours. The highway wasn't even closed at NASA Rd 1 like we anticipated. Then around 8am we encroach upon the outskirts of Big D. The weather was clear up to this point, but there were giant thunderstorms parked right over the entire metroplex.

We cautiously stuttered our way into the downtown district before we decided to exit and the Harry Hines out to Parkland. Good thing we rented a pickup truck because all the low water crossings we waded through would have killed any compact car - actually we saw alot of small cars driving through these and I thought they were crazy, I'd never attempt that. We eventually arrived safely at Parkland just shy of ten o'clock.

Then I headed back to Plano to drop off the rental truck and pick up my car from the mechanics. That all went pretty smoothly, even the remaining low water crossings on Harry Hines. The weird thing was when the Enterprise guys dropped me off at the mechanics they sent four (4) guys with me in that truck. I don't know why they did that because they were all so squished in there.

Anyways, after all that I picked up some Wendy's drive-thru and went in to work a few minutes after noon. At about 12:44 (according the time on my Mac) I got hit with a HUGE wave of drowsiness. I was so tired, but I plunged on. Two things that helped me through my day: a cupcake, and a piece of cake. Luckily there were two birthdays today and I got a double dose of afternoon sugar (sounds kinky, I know - its not).

I decided to take off just a tad bit early to make sure I made it to my appointment with Dr. Jones on time. Of course, anytime you try this you'll be extremely early. There is never any real way to judge how long it will take to get to Uptown. But it worked out, I was outta there before I was even supposed to be there. And that just meant I get an hour of rush hour traffic sooner.

Now I'm home. I've eaten. I've checked my email. I haven't unpacked or done laundry, but those will probably just have to wait till tomorrow. I think its time to vegetate on the couch till I pass out (prob 3.5 min) and then when I wake up in confusion I'll stagger into bed and start the whole process all over again.

G'nite.

No comments: